Re: You Got Your SVG in my Canvas! Mmm, Delicious!

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 10:11 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com> wrote:
>> Sure.  Here's a few use-cases that I've been able to extract from
>> emails in the threads:
>>
>> * Low- or no-vision users may have difficult reading text drawn into
>> an image.  Solutions may involve keeping around the original text, so
>> it can be accessed by assistive technologies on demand.
>>
>> * Low- or no-vision users may have difficulty determining the
>> connections between far-flung sections of a complex image, such as a
>> graph, because they cannot easily assimilate the entire image's
>> information at once.  Solutions may involve annotating sections of an
>> image with descriptions that can be accessed by assistive technology
>> on demand.
>>
>> * Low-vision users using a magnifier to aid in resolving details can't
>> see the entire application at once, and so don't know if something is
>> happening that requires their attention in a part of the application
>> that's not currently being magnified.  Solutions may involve telling
>> the magnifier about active areas, so it can alert the user and
>> pan/zoom appropriately.
>>
>> Things of this nature are problems that can be solved, and we can
>> evaluate how well any given solution solves them.
>>
>> ~TJ
>>
> Thanks for supplying this. I missed it in my post earlier today.
>

> Let me know what kind of solutions you think are appropriate for these
> situations.
> I'm quite attached to binding to the DOM, because DOM elements
> have ARIA bindings (as well as data-* for intra-webapp communication).

Honestly, I believe the easiest solution to all three of these
use-cases is to "use SVG", possibly paired with "add something to
SVG".  #1 is solved automatically.  I believe #2 is solved by the
<title> and <desc> elements.  I think #3 is already solved by calling
.focus() on an SVG element; if not, it's pretty obvious that it would
be easy to solve in a similar way.

~TJ