Re: hit testing and retained graphics

Adobe has released several canvas export tools; accessibility is part of  authoring tool guidelines.

Unfortunately many browser vendors have been underserved by their teams and/motivations: they are pushing back against supporting a11y for canvas content. Vendors of authoring tools are not even able to expose the accessibility information that might otherwise be shared. Many browser vendors are indeed discouraging it with a vague promise of future specs.

Most app are built atop 2D Apis, using widget libraries to manage their GUI. Few have declarative XML scene graphs. Mozilla does have them, it took a lot of extensions and custom coding. I bring that up because as a web app dev, I'd like to have a reasonable chance to compete with desktop/flash apps. To do that, I need some subset of the tools/vocabulary that those developers have. There are no / nearly no examples of complex SVG based applications. There are existing complex Canvas based apps and there are many-many examples of app GUIs built on simple 2d Apis analogous to canvas.

Developers of complex apps are very likely to use the tools available to them, the ones that have been available to them for decades; it has only been a short time that we've actually had a large enough vocabulary to develop desktop-style apps in the browser. Now that a vocabulary exists, the market can develop.

-Charles