Re: html5 editor responds to Canvas accessibility related bugs

Ian, Charles,

Maps will in most cases be addressed by alternative content. David Singer
and I have a proposal we have been working on regarding media queries. Maps
are inherently very visual and require alternative ways for interacting
with them for some users such as those who are blind. This problem is not
specific to <canvas>

We are looking to extend media queries that will allow a user to specify in
the browser that they require content that will interoperate with assistive
technologies - for example. We have a number of strategies we are working
on to deal with many of the examples you are referring to being worked on
in IBM and a diagrams project outside of IBM. The think map can be
addressed using the canvas subtree DOM - mainly using ARIA features like
aria-flowto.

What we are trying to do here is address applications that can be made
directly accessible as would typical desktop solutions through *existing*
platform accessibility APIs.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
CTO Accessibility Software Group