Re: html5 editor responds to Canvas accessibility related bugs

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 18:37:59 +0100
Cc: Oliver Hunt <oliver@apple.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, public-canvas-api@w3.org, public-canvas-api-request@w3.org
To: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
On 2 Oct 2010, at 03:36, Charles Pritchard wrote:
>> A very simple example of how much people overlook is the character ''
> ... And ? Often, people do not need to cater to every locale.

> There are many use cases in the U.S., where accessibility is more important than
> supporting pan-European languages.

> Your other argument is that text editors should support "all" of the worlds languages. Nobody has that expectation.

> Programmers get their specs from their clients. If their client only wants to support English, or some subset of languages, I don't see an issue.

The HTML WG is chartered "to ensure HTML provides effective support for internationalization" (same as it's chartered "to ensure that the deliverables will satisfy accessibility requirements").

The mission of the W3C's internationalization activity is "to ensure that W3C's formats and protocols are usable worldwide in all languages and in all writing systems".

Real-world text is not hermetically sealed from other languages. Software supporting natural language entry should allow free text input in all languages as free text may include the odd word, /bon mot/, or quotation from another language.

> If I wanted IME support, I'd use <input> or <textarea>, set opacity to zero,
> or otherwise stylize that part of text entry.
> Tell me, how do I allow someone to edit text which is along a path?
> Do I wait a few years for SVG contentEditable?

Why do you think SVG contentEditable would take longer to design and implement than the necessary accessibility and internationalization features for "canvas"?

> Such attitude is in deep conflict with the open and evolving nature of the web

Designing text editing features that bar authors producing non-English content from participation would also be in conflict with the open nature of the web, would it not?

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis