Re: 7-arg drawImage() call

Jatinder Mann wrote:
> The following text from Section 12 Images [1] seems to imply a
> 7-argument drawImage() call:
>
> "If not specified, the dw and dh arguments must default to the values
> of sw and sh, interpreted such that one CSS pixel in the image is
> treated as one unit in the canvas coordinate space."
>
> To not specify those two arguments would be to make a function call
> like so: drawImage(image, sx, sy, sw, dx, dy). In the latest version
> of the spec, such a drawImage function call is not specified and
> neither do any of the major browser vendors implement this function.

The normative definition of the overloads
(http://dev.w3.org/html5/2dcontext/#canvasrenderingcontext2d) is:

   void drawImage(in HTML[...]Element image, in float dx, in float dy,
in optional float dw, in float dh);

   void drawImage(in HTML[...]Element image, in float sx, in float sy,
in float sw, in float sh, in float dx, in float dy, in float dw, in
float dh);

The last two arguments in the first overload are optional, so you can
call "drawImage(image, dx, dy)". That's the case where dw/dh are not
specified and default to sw/sh, which that spec sentence is referring
to. I don't see why it would be interpreted as referring to overloads
that are never defined and can never be called. Can you suggest specific
text that would make it clearer?

--
Philip Taylor
pjt47@cam.ac.uk