Re: Proposal: Canvas accessibility and a media querries approach for alternative content (Action Item 6 in the HTML Accessibility Task Force)

On Jan 22, 2010, at 3:23 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, James Craig wrote:
>> On Jan 22, 2010, at 3:09 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
>>>
>>> Can browser vendors confirm that they are willing to prominently
>>> expose this new selection UI?
>>
>> Browsers vendor reps confirmed it is at least possible, assuming the WGs
>> come to an agreement on on the format.
>>
>> Final message:
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-canvas-api/2010JanMar/0099.html
>>
>> Entire thread:
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-canvas-api/2010JanMar/thread.html#msg1
>
> What are you thinking the UI should look like in Safari?

In my opinion, no additional visual UI is necessary by default. As a custom view, the author can control this in the canvas. However, user agents should pass selection size and position along to accessibility APIs, so an assistive technology can render and alternate visual cursor selection if desired.