Re: Proposal: Canvas accessibility and a media querries approach for alternative content (Action Item 6 in the HTML Accessibility Task Force)

I agree. we should provide for alternative modalities besides visual.

Rich Schwerdtfeger

             David Singer
             <singer@apple.com
             Sent by:                  Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
             public-canvas-api                                          cc
             -request@w3.org           Richard
                                       Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
                                       "public-canvas-api@w3.org"
             01/13/2010 08:09          <public-canvas-api@w3.org>,
             PM                        public-html@w3.org
                                                                   Subject

On Jan 13, 2010, at 18:03 , Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jan 2010, David Singer wrote:
>> On Jan 12, 2010, at 14:52 , Ian Hickson wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't understand why we would want, or need, to make the accessible
>>> canvas DOM any different than the regular fallback DOM.
>>
>> I may be misunderstanding the question, and if so, I apologize.
>>
>> If I have some kind of scientific visualization with controls that I do
>> in canvas, and there really isn't a way to do that without canvas (i.e.
>> no real way to draw it), my fallback for browsers not capable of canvas
>> may be "we regret the loss of picture", whereas my shadow for the
>> accessible user using canvas may well be a set of controls --
>> check-boxes ('Gravity morphing?') sliders ('Phi incursion angle!'),
>> buttons ('fire photon torpedo!') and so on.
>>
>> If I am right, I would tend to ask the opposite: how can we be sure that

>> the fallback for non-canvas-capable browsers will essentially always be
>> the same as the shadow for canvas-capable browsers needing accessible
>> access?
>
> In this scenario, how is the data made accessible to blind users?

Why is the accessibility need assumed to be visual?  We have motor-impaired
people who cannot operate a mouse, but who can interact with
buttons/sliders etc. using, for example, voice controls.

David Singer