Re: Clarification on non-interactive, static, visual media

On Wednesday, April 28, 2010, 7:45:55 AM, Simon wrote:

SP> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 22:16:27 +0200, Jatinder Mann <jmann@microsoft.com>
SP> wrote:

>> I would like to get clarification on the following passage [1]:

>> "In non-interactive, static, visual media, if the canvas element has
>> been previously painted on (e.g. if the page was viewed in an
>> interactive visual medium and is now being printed, or if some script
>> that ran during the page layout process painted on the element), then
>> the canvas element represents embedded content with the current image
>> and size. Otherwise, the element represents its fallback content
>> instead."

SP> This seems like a stupid requirement. Why would we want to print the
SP> fallback? In many cases the fallback will be "your browser does not
SP> support canvas".

In which case it isn't fallback, its an excuse for not having provided any fallback.

*Actual* fallback would be a static snapshot of the graphic, or a text description of what the graphic shows.

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG