Fw: Follow Up Call - HTML Canvas Accessibility

I wanted to log this. Thanks Maciej.

Rich Schwerdtfeger
----- Forwarded by Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM on 08/26/2009 04:18 PM
-----

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
08/22/2009 10:52 PM

James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
cc
Sue E McNamara/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS, Cynthia Shelly
<cyns@exchange.microsoft.com>, Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>,
Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, David Bolter <david.bolter@gmail.com>,
Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>,
David Singer <singer@apple.com>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Subject
Re: Follow Up Call - HTML Canvas Accessibility

On Aug 21, 2009, at 5:05 PM, James Craig wrote:

> Hi Sue,
>
> Before you schedule another meeting, could you put together an
> agenda of the topics that will be discussed in the meeting? Today's
> meeting ended with action items that may take some time to complete.
> We have clearly set ideas of how canvas can be made accessible, and
> individuals are now working on it. My concern is that a
> teleconference is a very inefficient venue for spec brainstorming.
>
> Given the actions that came out of today's meeting, I'm not sure a
> follow-up is needed until the actions are complete.
>
> Actions from today:
>
> 1. Doug Schepers agreed to take a stab at a prototype of an
> accessible canvas demo that was "faked" via a shadow tree that is an
> offscreen or otherwise hidden sibling (rather than a descendant) of
> the canvas element. Making the shadow tree a sibling will allow a
> demo to work today without the need for browser updates. Siblings of
> canvas will receive normal focus and key events; descendants will
> not. Rich and I agreed to verify and help with the ARIA portions of
> his demo once he has something to show.

While Doug works on the main prototype, I volunteer to make a demo of
specifically a chart drawn using canvas, with accessibility provided
by a table. I can commit to having it ready by Sept. 4, 2009. (The
chart will be dynamically generated, so it will demonstrate whether
dynamically generating a matching table is viable and sufficiently
author-friendly.)

> 2. After it's determined that the prototype has merit, the browser
> vendors will need to agree on a formal or informal set of changes
> that need to be made to support a canvas shadow tree. This may be
> accompanied by a prototyped release, but no vendor has formally
> agreed to that yet. Once Doug gets to a stopping point, we can
> probably decide follow-up steps on the public-canvas-api@w3.org list.

I believe prototyping in an open source browser engine (Gecko or
WebKit) would be a good way to validate the implementation side, but I
don't think it needs to block a full proposal.

> I think follow-up on the list is a good idea so other interested
> parties aren't left out. I've added Maciej and Charles to the CC,
> since both of them are involved in this discussion and were left off
> the list.

Agreed. I'm going to subscribe to public-canvas-api, and let's have
further discussion there.

Regards,
Maciej