Re: Separate Draft of Canvas API Uploaded to CVS

From: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 15:46:14 -0500
To: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Cc: public-canvas-api@w3.org, public-canvas-api-request@w3.org

I want to apologize about setting up this first accessibility call. My
admin's Windows machine got a virus and she is getting it fixed. Hopefully,
she will be back on line soon.

Rich Schwerdtfeger

             Doug Schepers
             <schepers@w3.org>
             public-canvas-api         public-canvas-api@w3.org
             -request@w3.org                                            cc

                                                                   Subject
             08/18/2009 02:40          Re: Separate Draft of Canvas API
             PM                        Uploaded to CVS

Hi, Jun-

FUJISAWA Jun wrote (on 8/18/09 5:17 AM):

>>  I took the opportunity to make it a little more generic (i.e., not
>>  HTML-specific), so that SVG could also include the Canvas API (for
>>  example, to be used on<image>  elements in SVG);
>
> As for the use of in SVG, I think the Canvas API would be useful for any
> elements that establish a new viewport, including 'svg', 'image',
'video',
> 'animation', and 'foreignObject' elements.
>
> There is no element that provide graphics rendering context in HTML, so
> we need to introduce 'canvas' element. In the case of SVG, however, we
> already have a good set of graphics elements with independent rendering
> contexts, and we should take full advantage of the available rich
> features of SVG.

To be honest, I hadn't considered anything but <image>, but we can
certainly take a look at other elements.  I definitely see some
interesting use cases for using it with <video>, in fact.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs

graycol.gif