Re: Proposed Charter for the Browser Extension Community Group

> On 19 Oct 2015, at 21:11, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 2015-10-19 03:01, Florian Rivoal wrote:
>> Hi All,
>
> Hi Florian,
> I don't have any comments on the charter, it looks fine to me.
>
> However, I don't understand how the CG is supposed to work since extensions require
> deep cuts into a browser's code-base.  Producing a specification alone won't have
> any effect on the market unless it is backed by at least one major browser vendor.

You are absolutely correct that this effort would amount to very little if browsers
did not participate and implement. I will not speak on their behalf, but browsers are
expected to participate, both in terms of working on specifications and
implementing them.

> As you probably now I'm personally involved in a specific extension which is about
> combining the power of the "Web" and "App" worlds which has numerous of very different
> applications although I have focused on payments:
>
>        https://test.webpki.org/webpay-merchant
>
> Now I'm trying to make an NFC/BLE version of the same basic interface:
>
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-nfc/2015Oct/0025.html
>
> Any kind of feedback would be welcome!

Sounds like an ambitious goal! I don't expect to have the time to look into
it in depth soon, but thanks for the pointer, I'll keep an eye on it.

 - Florian