Re: The ever contentious capabilities for new sessions

On 14/09/16 20:16, Jason Juang wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 7:39 AM, Simon Stewart
> <simon.m.stewart@gmail.com <mailto:simon.m.stewart@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 10:14 PM, James Graham
>     <james@hoppipolla.co.uk <mailto:james@hoppipolla.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>         The other is that the proposed structure seems rather
>         non-general. If I want to specify something large like a
>         bas64-encoded profile in a way that it only appears in the
>         message once, but where it applies to > 1 but not all of the
>         firstMatch parameter sets that isn't possible.
>

>     By design. Jason and I discussed this on the #selenium IRC channel.
>     In the case of Firefox profiles, the common case I've seen is to
>     ensure that a number of extensions are pre-installed, and those
>     extensions support all requested versions of Firefox.
>

> I would say that it would be fine to have a "non-general" structure
> here, in favor of keeping the structure of the request simple. One can
> imagine a configuration language that allows for arbitrary matching and
> merging semantics (Googlers might know exactly which one I'm thinking
> of), but I'm not convinced the demand for that behavior is sufficient to
> justify the added complexity.
>
> It's still possible to do arbitrarily complex things by using multiple
> new-session requests; it's expensive, but that's acceptable if we
> believe this to be a minority case.

This argument would be much easier to assess with data about what
features are currently used and what problems current users experience.
As it it it seems to me to be hard to justify why any particular design
is the right place to draw a line in the sand.

Also, as I said, I'm not sure that in practice my proposal makes the
request more complicated than your proposal. In fact I might argue that
a clean separation between data for routers and data for end nodes is
simpler.