Re: Webdriver protocol. Locator strategies

Miguel <aplicacionamedida@gmail.com> writes:

> "This could be a bug with querySelectorAll. There were similar
> tendencies in Blink."
>
> Why should this behaviour be considered a bug in both rendering
> engines? Does the HTML specification say something about this?

Performance issues that make one API orders of magnitude slower than
another, is naturally a concern to any browser vendor.

It’s another question entirely what WebDriver decides to do about it.
Getting an element by ID, class, and tag name are not currently
primitives in the spec, so the question is if the problems
querySelectorAll can be resolved and if we think conciseness in
commands—i.e. fewer commands that don’t replicate each other—is worth
the performance degradation we are seeing in current browsers.

I suspect the HTML specification is an outlier to test this on.  Very
few web documents are this big.