Re: shutdown command documentation

Some historical perspective may be in order. The Java remote server added the /shutdown endpoint to give client bindings a way to gracefully exit the Selenium standalone server. That was the original intent of the endpoint, nothing more. I can't speak to how the Chrome implementation does it, but the IE driver doesn't implement it. There are other mechanisms to shut down that process, like calling the DELETE /session/:sessionid endpoint.