Re: Proposal: Setting all capabilities to required

Attempt to bring this thread back on topic.

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 3:11 PM, David Burns <dburns@mozilla.com> wrote:
> I would like to propose that in Section 4.1 we remove desiredCapabilites and
> requiredCapabilites and just have a capabilities object. This capabilities
> object would then be treated as a requiredCapabilities object and if any of
> keys in that object do not match what the UA/intermediary node can do then
> error with a `session not created` status. If keys have been omitted from
> the capabilities object then the UA/intermediary node can just assume that
> the developer is happy with whatever they receive

What about additional capabilities that are unknown to the driver?

There is a use case for passing along purely informational
capabilities, such as a profile or some special string you would like
the remote or any intermediary remote to pick up.

When I read this initially I thought that the driver would only return
an error when failing to match the capabilities it knew about; not
that it would also fail on _any_ unknown capability.

If this indeed is the desired behaviour we need to make it clear that
any intermediary expecting a capability needs to pop this off the
capabilities object before the command is proxied on to the next
remote.