Re: Status indicating intermediary server problems

>From the end user's point of view, what's the difference? And how is this
different from a normal HTTP request where a proxy chokes? As far as each
step on the path from local to remote end goes, the "next hop" _is_ the
remote end, so it'd be hard for an intermediary to know whether or not the
problem was caused by the remote end failing to respond or another node?

Would a 502 or 504 HTTP response be appropriate?

Simon