Re: MWABP: Inform user about automatic use of network and provide control

From: Jeff Sonstein <jsonstein@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:09:31 -0400
Cc: François Daoust <fd@w3.org>
To: BPWG Public <public-bpwg@w3.org>
On Jun 28, 2010, at 9:56 AM, Francois Daoust wrote:

> We've talked about best practices 5 and 6 last week:
> - Inform the User About Automatic Network Access:
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/mwabp/#bp-inform-automation
> - Provide Sufficient Means to Control Automatic Network Access
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/mwabp/#bp-inform-network
[...]
> As a reminder, we resolved last week to remove these best practices — actually to demote them to strong advisory notes — from the specification and re-publish the resulting document in last call, unless we manage to find implementation by tomorrow.

I've had a short email conversation  with Adam on this set of issues
and agree with him "about these becoming advisory/appendix materials"

I agree w François that
these are better placed as "strong advisory notes"...
the obvious implementations of this which I have found
are actually in Web-focused apps
and are about sending personal data
rather than in browser-based settings
which are doing generic network access

jeffs

--
The spirit of democracy cannot be imposed from without.
It has to come from within.

Prof. Jeff Sonstein

http://www.it.rit.edu/~jxs/
http://ariadne.iz.net/~jeffs/