Re: Addendum to Mobile Web Best Practices, comments on 3.25 Structure, 3.29 Tables Support, 3.31 Use of Color

As noted, I'm working through the document now. Comments inline below.

Alan Chuter wrote:
> Starting at the end I have read through some of the document [3]. Here
> are a few comments.
>
> ==3.25 Structure==
>
> "Verify that <list> elements are used..." should be just "Verify that
> list elements are used..."  or "Verify that lists are marked up" as

Done. Text says:

"Verify that list elements are used to represent lists (ordered,
unordered, or definition lists) and are not used for formatting effects."

> Likewise "Verify that <header> elements" should be "Verify that header
> elements" or perhaps "<hn> elements"

Done. Text says:

"Verify that heading elements (<h1>, <h2> etc.) are used to represent
headers and are not used for formatting effects."

> In "Verify that all information, which is visually is shown as a block
> of text, uses paragraph or <blockquote>..." it is probably better not to
> mention <blockquote> as it is so often abused. Or tell people what it
> means (markup of a quote).
>
> This last step might be clearer as (my emphasis) "Verify that all
> information, which is visually is shown as blocks of text, uses
> **separate** paragraph or <div> elements in the markup rather than
> separation by multiple <br> line breaks."
>
> For this BP the document could, as with lists, also include a provision
> to ensure that mark up is used for headings, rather than font effects.
>
> Typo: "which is visually is shown" to "which visually is shown."

Done. Text says:

"Verify that all information that is shown visually as blocks of text
uses separate elements such as <p> or <div> in the markup rather than
creating visual separation using multiple <br> line breaks."

> ==3.29 Tables Support==
>
> I think that "Relevant Delivery Context Capabilities / Table support"
> should be "No table support."

I might agree but I'm keeping changes to absolute minimum given the long
history of the doc so I have not made this change.

> ==3.30 URIs==
>
> There seems to be an incoherence between the two steps of the evaluation
> procedure. If the domain name should be short, then if a path is
> necessary (as implied by the second step) than the path should be
> included in the limit. Perhaps it would be better not to mention domain
> but simply say that the path including the domain should be within the
> limit.
>
> Typos: capitalisation in "entry Domain" and full stop in "in .html Ensure."

Typos corrected but, again, I have kept changes to a minimum by not
playing with the text itself.

> ==3.31 Use of Color [1]==
>
> "Verify that color is not used to represent information." I think that
> this should be "Verify that color is not used as the sole means to
> represent any item of information."

That's clearer without changing the meaning. Done.

> In the Examples, "Red text may be used to convey error messages but the
> fact that it is an error message should be clear without color." perhaps
> say "Red text may be used to **highlight** error messages but the fact
> that it is an error message should **also be conveyed in some other
> way** without color **(like asterisks or emphasis with the em element)**."
>
> This is covered in detail in WCAG 2.0 [2] so perhaps a link would be
> useful here.

Added.

--

Phil Archer