Re: New draft MWABP (17th Sept 09)

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Eduardo Casais <casays@yahoo.com> wrote:

> A quick scan (mainly for the issues discussed recently).
>
> 3.5.10 Consider Use of Canvas Tag or SVG For Dynamic Graphics
>
> I presume there will be still a short review of what you
> included or left out in the draft from previous comments,
> but one things struck me:
> -----
> In most cases Canvas is faster and should be preferred if
> it meets requirements.
> -----
> Do you have any new information about the performance
> advantage of Canvas? Jeff stated explicitly he was not
> able to determine how SVG and Canvas compared in this
> respect.

I knew that would be contentious. This was based on an (admittedly informal)
straw-poll on an internal mailing list of people who I know are using
Canvas/SVG in their applications (e.g. various web maps teams). It's
developer opinion not empirical measurement. I think it's probably valid,
and rings true (a bitmap verse a vector DOM) but we can ding if consensus is
against it.