Re: CTG: current discussion (2)

Hi Eduardo

I don't disagree with what you say here. There is no intention of
burying any comments at all. Your proposals are, in my opinion, as usual
helpful and insightful.

I don't think that any document is ever complete or perfect. The
objective of publication of a document is to move things forward
recognising that this is the case but also recognising that what it does
say is a contribution to the subject matter.

The dilemma as I see it is that if we make further substantive changes
to the document a further last call will be required. As things stand
there isn't time to do that within the charter of the group. Hence the
practicality of what we face at the moment seems to be that if we make
further substantive changes to the document then it looks likely that it
will remain a draft.

I'd much prefer that we got the document to Recommendation rather than
leaving it as a draft as I think that it will make a bigger difference
to making things work better. I don't think that issues should be swept
under the table and agree that they should be documented as areas that
would benefit from further work.

I think you raise an interesting point as to whether another group would
be willing to take this work forward. Francois pointed out there are
patent policy issues about another group taking this document on. So any
future work based on our suggestions for future work would, as I
understand it, need to be a new document.

My own view is that further substantial progress in this area requires
work which is not limited to mobile in scope and would need to introduce
new technology (like a proper two party consent mechanism).

Jo