Re: MWABP for discussion: JSON parsing vs eval benchmarking.

On May 19, 2009, at 7:44 AM, public-bpwg@w3.org wrote:

> There is a BP in the MWABP which states you shouldn't directly
> eval() JSON data but should use a JSON parser instead for security
> reasons... We came to this point after a number of more nuanced
> iterations. However, feedback from a colleague in the office who did
> some benchmarking suggests that JSON parsing is approx. * 10 slower
> than direct eval(). So... I don't think we can really make a BP that
> would require an app to run * 10 slower than it has to...

well
it would just be the "get and parse remote data" part
which would run slower...
the rest of the app should not be effected
I would think

> I propose:
>
> * Would somebody please volunteer to verify this figure and see if
> it is still true. It was true on iPhone 1 and the gap may have
> narrowed in 2.x, Android, or other platforms...

someone who has other-than-iPhones avail
should probably do this

> * If the gap has narrowed we should keep things as they are and
> offer some comment on relative performance eval vs json parsing.

even if the gap is that bad and has not narrowed
this still seems an appropriate thing to do

> * If the gap hasn't closed I propose that we change this BP to state
> that the preferred option is to use eval() but only on trusted data

makes sense either way

do you have a link to a benchmark?

jeffs

--