Re: [minutes] 12 May 2009 Teleconference

Tom Hume wrote:
> OK, I've explained why I voted against this one. I'll do it once more
> and leave you to it.
>
> The MobileOptimized META attribute isn't an indication that a page is
> generally mobile-aware, it's a hint to a specific browser to say
> "don't apply your normal layout rules to this page"; I think there's a
> difference, you're free to disagree of course.
>
> Formatting a page for mobile IE doesn't mean that it's suitable for
> consumption on other mobile devices. There are other mechanisms that a
> content provider can use to say "don't transform me" if they want to.
> Unless it's extremely prevalent in the real world - which I've not
> seen evidence that this is - I don't believe that mandating respect
> for a single vendors proprietary mechanisms is appropriate.

again, there are other means, but if a particular content provider has
chosen this, admittedly proprietary, way to say "don't transform me", a
transcoder should detect it and avoid transcoding (that's unless Novarra
and the happy transcoder gang are allowed to make their commercial
interests prevail over the well being of the mobile industry in general
within W3C)

Luca