Re: The Web has flexible presentation Re: (Nielsen article)

Bruce Lawson wrote:
> Comments inline:
>
> On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 17:20:03 +0530, Luca Passani <passani@eunet.no>
> wrote:
>
>> what you call SOME is 99% of companies creating professional websites.
>> Anyway, by controlling the view, I did not mean "exactly
>> pixel-perfect". Content is still allowed to flow within small ranges
>> inside a page.
>
> I'd be interested to see data that supports the 99% figure (as it
> suggests an overwhelming majority).

and

> When I worked in the content pubishing industry, we believed that the
> content rather than the presentation was all that publishing content
> is all about.
>
> Can you demonstrate the statistics that support this basic fact?

yes, I can. And you can too. Here is how:
Go to the Alexa site and pull up the list of the top 100 most popular
websites:

http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_sites?ts_mode=global&lang=none

Look at each of them with 4 browsers: Firefox, Opera, MSIE (6 or 7) and
Safari. They all look pretty much identical in all browsers (not
pixel-perfect identical, but not very far from it). My point stands:
content providers from all over go out of their way to control
presentation.
When someone messes with all of that hard work, they typically become,
mildly put, annoyed.

Luca