RE: ISSUE-288 (includeNonMandatedHeuristics): Should the Content Transformation Guidelines include a non normative list of mobile heuristics ? [Guidelines for Web Content Transformation Proxies]

> Perhaps you've not been following
> the ins and outs of correspondence on the list closely, and you could
be
> forgiven for that. However, since it was said in response to this over
> stated claim, I think it's quite reasonable by way of a refutation of
an
> unreasonably put point.

I have been following the correspondence as much as I can manage. One
claim (from Luca) was that the group was attempting to "present
transcoders as some kind of standard", which was countered (by Tom) with
a reference to the HTTP specification section 14.9.5, which deals with
the No-Transform Directive, the motivation for its existence and no less
than 5 use cases (memory space, network traffic, medical images,
scientific data and e2e authentication) all in just three paragraphs.
What was not said by the correspondents, and perhaps should have been,
is that this suggests that those who drafted the specification were
giving serious consideration to the pros and cons of proxy
transformation, and making some provision to control it. At least from
the perspective of what was considered to be proxy technology at the
time. Luca responded to the reference by suggesting it was only about
bandwidth optimisation. In fact, there is ample evidence in the
specification that the authors had more than just a passing knowledge of
the issues. For example, elsewhere in 14.11 they say "a non-transparent
proxy MAY modify the content-coding if the new coding is known to be
acceptable to the recipient," showing an awareness of delivery context
sensitivity; and there is the description of the "Warning" mechanism,
showing acceptance of the need to convey some information about
intermediate activities to the users.

Like you, I don't claim to know what the specification authors had in
mind. I only have what they wrote. And like you, I don't try to draw
conclusions from a single example within the cited specification. I'm
trying to grasp the bigger picture. Careful inspection shows that the
authors may have been considering a broader scope for transforming
proxies, but this was not made concrete in the specification. The
situation today is certainly much more complex than it was when the
specification was drafted.

The reference (to refute the "hack" moniker) required a little more
depth/exploration, and the refutation of the reference was dismissive
(and a little impolite).

But the problem, from my perspective, is that too much energy is being
put into the technical/historical minutia, when the bigger picture
remains, as I explained in my original comments.

---Rotan.