Re: FYI - "Mobile Web 2009 = Desktop Web 1998"

Tom Hume wrote:
> Which operators have been involved in the compromises the Manifesto
> incorporates, and which operators have agreed to abide by it?

As far as I know, as a minimum, the following operators have all
carefully reviewed the Manifesto and either used it directly to create
their internal requirements for transcoding or have modified their
current deployment to abide by it in whole or in part:

O2, Vodacom, Sprint, Telecom Italia, Orange, T-Mobile, TeliaSonera,
Vodafone.

In addition, I have had direct contacts with individual employees in two
of these organizations and they did express their opinion about the
Manifesto and the rules in it ("Luca, you could not be any more right
than this on transcoders! Thank you for the Manifesto.").

I did try to get these operators to sign the Manifesto. This was
escalated to higher levels, until they got to someone who did not see a
commercial advantage for the operator to sign, and so they did not (a
logical conclusion for an operator, I have to admit). But the Manifesto
has had a huge impact in limiting the damage by abusively configured
transcoders. This was confirmed by all three major transcoder vendors
(officially in some cases, unofficially in others).

Of course, this is the tip of the iceberg, because a lot of this
internal decisions has happened internally in the respective
organizations, so we will probably never hear about it, but it did
happen and the Manifesto played a huge role in it.

> I think it would be a good thing if there were some there, but last
> time I checked there weren't.

Again, they are not signing because they do not have an incentive to
sign. But this does not mean that they are not respecting it and that
they are not listening to the developer community. They are.

Luca