Re: New MWABP draft. (LC candidate ?) / comments

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 12:07:55 +0200, Eduardo Casais <casays@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Status
>> --------
>> This document was produced by a group operating under the 5 February
>> 2004 W3C Patent
>> Policy. This document is informative only.
>> --------
>> To avoid confusion, perhaps the following text would be suitable:
>> The present document was produced by a group operating under the 5
>> February 2004 W3C
>> Patent Policy; the latter document is informative only.
>> Although, is it true that the patent policy document is informative
>> only? Is it not
>> binding upon the work of the various W3C groups?

The patent policy is normative.
The Mobile Web Application Best Practices document is informative only.
"This" refers to the Mobile Web Application Best Practices document in
both sentences.

> The Patent Policy is binding on W3C Recommendations. I suggest copying
> the paragraph word for word from some recent recommendation. (I was
> under the impression that the pubrules checker will actually provide
> text for you if it doesn't match a pretty exact wording, but that may
> not be so).

Yes. I always update the Status of this Document section prior to
publication and usually tell editors not to bother about this section.
Most of the text of this section is imposed by publication rules. The
above mentioned excerpt is one of these imposed paragraphs.

Francois.