Re: MWABP: Revised text for Device Capability Detection.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Rotan Hanrahan <
rotan.hanrahan@mobileaware.com> wrote:

>  Again, I don’t agree (and not just for the sake of not agreeing, which
> certainly would not be my style). As José has pointed out in a separate
> response, the real issue is about awareness of delivery context (of which
> “capability detection” is part). To assume that all delivery contexts are
> the same would be to deny the possibility of variation, which is counter to
> the idea of the Web (given its aim to available everywhere, to everyone and
> on every device). The fact that the original Web (as implemented by Tim) was
> rather homogeneous does not necessarily mean that this is “good” and that
> heterogeneity is “evil”. It was merely convenient at the time. As the Web
> matured, browser diversity expanded. The diversity wasn’t managed properly,
> and we ended up with various hacks to give the Web servers some awareness of
> the delivery context. I concede that the hacks were “not good” but the idea
> of detecting the context in order to have the opportunity to deal with it
> has been there for a long time, intentionally.
>
> Good points. My knowledge is enriched.

> To address the “real point” of this thread, I will offer some text that I
> hope will be useful for this section.
>
> Greatly appreciated. I'll drop this text into the next draft now.

> ·         JavaScript: this is the most common solution. A script
> determines the device/browser properties and either manipulates the content
> via DOM access methods, or sends the gathered information back to the server
> via a HTTP request. Typically the delivery context information is gathered
> at the start of the session, though dynamic information (e.g. the current
> screen orientation) will need to be refreshed during the session. The Ajax
> design pattern makes extensive use of this technique.

Within JavaScript the two things you can do are i) adapt on the device; ii)
request the appropriate / alternative content from the server. I'll expand
this point a little as I think the differences could be clearer.

> ·         DCCI: the “Delivery Context: Client Interfaces” (DCCI) is a
> recently introduced W3C specification that enables client-side access to
> device information via DOM methods. It is not yet widely supported, but if
> adopted it will help to improve the implementation and interoperability of
> script-based solutions as described previously.
>
> ·         OMA DPE: the OMA Device Profiles Evolution is an enhanced device
> profiles technology that will enable real-time conveyance of dynamic device
> information from the client to the server. Information can include available
> memory, battery life, screen orientation, mute status etc., which together
> with other known delivery context information will greatly enhance the
> possibilities for adaptation. The OMA DPE specification is expected to be
> released soon.

I'm not sure that "JavaScript" and "DCCI" work as sibling bullet-points like
this... If DCCI is essentially the addition of new DOM methods then it's a
subset of the JavaScript bullet-point... I'll have a go at rearranging to
keep the text but not present as parallel bullet-points and we can iterate
in the next draft.

Thanks for the text.

Adam.