Re: MobileOK scheme

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 00:07:59 +0200, Phil Archer <phila@w3.org> wrote:

> Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 20:18:10 +0200, Jo Rabin <jrabin@mtld.mobi> wrote:

>>> I don't understand your objection which seems to be rather to do with
>>> mobileOK Basic Tests than this document.

>>  No, it is with the specific phrasing that says "doing a really good
>> job is not mobileOK", rather than saying "doing a good job can also be
>> mobileOK and is encouraged in the overall work behind mobileOK".
>
> And I thought Groundhog day was in February.

Well, I tried it once in April, and it seems to have come back.

> I don't think there's a lot of disagreement here. The spirit of
> mobileOK, and, AIUI, the letter of it, is that you must be able to
> return a basic representation in the absence of information that says
> you're talking to a more able device.

Agreed.

> Users of devices that are more capable device have a reasonable
> expectation that they will get a representation that exploits their
> device's capabilities to present something better.

Agreed.

> In other words, being mobileOK means that you can deal with simple
> devices.

Agreed.

> Since there is no agreement what a more capable device can do, we can't
> say that mobileOK means that you can also do X, Y and Z.

Agreed. *BUT* there is also no justification to say that the result of
doing this is somehow not mobileOK, which is what the current text implies.

> However, an Opera Mini user, or an iPhone user, can be reasonably sure
> that a mobileOK site will exploit the capabilities of their device in
> such a way as to give them an enhanced experience.

No, they can't be reasonably sure actually. But nor should we be saying
that a site which does this is somehow doing something that is not
MobileOK.

> Again, mobileOK and the BPs from which it is ultimately derived do not
> mean working to the lowest common denominator.

Right. And I want to remove the statement in the MobileOK scheme that
looks like "not working to the LCD is not mobileOK".

cheers

Chaals