Re: CT: mandating respect of some heuristics

Hi David,

David Storey wrote:
[...]
> One question.  This assumes that proxies can be turned off.  There are
> mobile browsers that can't turn off the proxy as they wouldn't work
> without it, such as Opera Mini, TeaShark, Skyfire, Bolt, et al.  We
> obviously don't want to be seen as just specifying for the "rich mans
> web", that can afford mobiles capable of using a full smart phone level
> browser.  We can either specify that these browsers can transform the
> content if there is no other way to display the content, or we can
> forbid the browser/proxy to display the page as the browser vendors will
> just ignore you and the document.

Such browsers are generally considered to be out of scope of these
guidelines. The Scope section reads:
"Clients that interact with proxies using mechanisms other than HTTP
(and that typically involve the download of a special client) are out of
scope, and are considered to be a distributed user agent."
http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/TaskForces/CT/editors-drafts/Guidelines/081107#sec-scope

Appendix F. "Applicability to Transforming Solutions which are Out of
Scope" advises to follow the guidelines when possible:
http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/TaskForces/CT/editors-drafts/Guidelines/081107#sec-applicability

In short, for the use case here, such browsers are totally out of scope,
the proxy part is considered to be an internal component of the browser.

[Side notes:
  - These browsers are also out of scope for the discussion on links
rewriting
  - As a counter-example, the discussion on HTTPS includes them in the
global picture, because the deported nature of the proxy component is
what triggers security concerns]

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Francois.