Re: ACTION-893: Start putting together a set of guidelines that could help address the security issues triggered by links rewriting.

Thank you Jose, and my apologies for not being clearer in my
communication.

What we're discussing here is not, of course, transcoders breaking SSL
encryption, but rather rewriting links on sites which refer to
resources accessed over SSL.

I believe my point stands: there may be an overlap between two
possible motives for SSL (adding security and preventing alteration of
content) but they are nonetheless different motives, and HTTP/HTTPS
provide separate support for them.

The point in the minutes was around referenced resources inheriting
the properties of their parent documents. We rejected it because this
would be adding the notion of parent documents to HTTP, might lead to
recursive references, and generally seemed to be a new and subtly
different use of the protocol which could easily cause problems. When
you read the minutes you'll note that it was myself and Eduardo who
made these points, and not, sadly, representatives of transcoder
vendors.

--
Future Platforms Ltd
e: Tom.Hume@futureplatforms.com