Re: ACTION-893: Start putting together a set of guidelines that could help address the security issues triggered by links rewriting.

On 17 Jan 2009, at 12:19, Tom Hume wrote:

> Rob
>
> Your points re operational procedures are true... but don't they
> nevertheless introduce risk to content providers wishing to ensure
> security? If I set up a secure service that isn't transcoded, I know
> that communications between client and server are secure. If it's
> transcoded (which it may be by a large number of operators
> worldwide) I'm suddenly dependent on the operational procedures and
> integrity of all these operators. I'd be surprised if I, as a
> content provider, was able to evaluate these.

This is not strictly true, in that you still have to trust the
client.  One could say you can't trust Opera Mini as it doesn't have
end to end SSL, but on a regular browser the SSL is obviously
decrypted on the client.  That client (say Opera desktop) could just
as easy do something malicious with the private data if the vendor
wasn't trustworthy.  I guess there would be an additional step in
phoning home to return the data to the mother ship though.

In short I think you have to trust the proxy vendor as much as you
trust the client vendor.  I guess one difference is that certain
proxies the end user chooses to use, such as by downloading and using
Opera Mini, but it is a different ball game for proxies that operators
push on the user without them selecting it (i.e. given to all mobile
browsers).  I think the former is fine but not so much the latter.

In regard to the no transform header; this can't work for solutions
such as Opera Mini, where they only support using a proxy.

> [...]
>>
>> 3 & 4 are addressed by operations procedures and by encrypting all
>> user
>> data on disks.
>>
>> 5 is addressed by never logging anything more than origin domain name
>> for HTTPS transactions (ie only log what HTTP CONNECT would reveal).
>>
>> 6 is complicated by the fact that often a CT-Proxy has to operate
>> as a
>> gateway, when it ceases to be a "proxy" and becomes an "end point".
>>
>> For instance:
>> * When a long web-page gets fragmented, links to subsequent fragments
>> must target the CT-proxy as the origin server.
>> * JavaScript events triggered by links in the device's static XHTML/
>> MP
>> markup must target the CT-proxy as the script execution environment.
>> * HTTPS links must be rewritten to transcode an HTTPS web site.
>> * To minimize the size of the page returned to the end user, long
>> URIs
>> may be replaced by short "tokens" that only the issuing CT-proxy can
>> redeem.
>>
>> At the URI level, this means that the URI moves from:
>> http://[original-URI]
>> ... to something like:
>> http://ct-proxy.example.com/[original-URI]
>>
>> This change of origin hostname is important because of the security
>> implications it has on the browser for cookies (which belong to
>> hostnames) and for script Document Object Model security (if the
>> device
>> has any script capabilities then cross-site scripting attacks become
>> possible). From the device browser's perspective the CT-proxy makes
>> the
>> Web look as if it is all from one origin.
>>
>> The solution to this is for the CT-proxy to manage all cookies and
>> all
>> script execution on behalf of the device whenever the CT-Proxy is the
>> URI end-point. The CT-proxy should not pass origin-server scripts
>> through to the device for execution or pass origin-server cookies
>> to the
>> device. The CT-proxy must manage its script execution security and
>> cookie/hostname security in the same way as a web browser to prevent
>> malicious cross-site scripting exploits. [RFC2109] [reference on DOM
>> security?]
>>
>> The CT-proxy must manage the browsing session (including the change
>> of
>> referer, the use of client certificates, etc) on behalf of the end-
>> user.
>>

>> 7 is only a threat when the CT-proxy is managing the browsing
>> session on
>> behalf of the user's device browser. In this case the CT-proxy
>> needs to
>> uniquely identify requests from each user, with either out-of-band
>> authentication using the radio network's SIM identity or by using
>> cookies between the user's browser and the CT-proxy. [Reference on
>> secure session management using cookies?]

David Storey

Chief Web Opener,
Product Manager Opera Dragonfly,
Consumer Product Manager Opera Core,
W3C Mobile Web Best Practices Working Group member

Consumer Product Management & Developer Relations
Opera Software ASA
Oslo, Norway

Mobile: +47 94 22 02 32
E-Mail: dstorey@opera.com