Re: ACTION-893: Start putting together a set of guidelines that could help address the security issues triggered by links rewriting.

On 18 Jan 2009, at 10:07, Luca Passani wrote:

> > In effect, there could be an unavoidable two-tier Web: pre-CT and
> post-CT.
> this sounds a bit like BC and AC in the history of the web. A bit
> too ambitious for a group which is not in the position to create new
> technology don't you think?

+1. Unless I misunderstand the remit of CTG, this isn't a way forwards.

> Finally, the W3C legal counsel already thinks that HTTPS cannot be
> broken legally the way transcoders do it: why isn't this the final
> word on this crazy HTTPS link re-writing discussion?

Which legal advice are you referring to here Luca? If it's the one
that Jo originally posted, and that you and I debated on wapreview.com
then, then this advice wasn't sought in connection with HTTPS but with
transformation in general. You may choose to infer a link between the
two, but we should probably leave such inferences for someone legally
qualified.

However, if there's concern re a legal issue here (and the manual
whitelisting of banking sites by some operators to prevent transcoding
would seem to indicate that there are concerns), then could I suggest
we do get a legal opinion on it?

--
Future Platforms Ltd
e: Tom.Hume@futureplatforms.com