Re: [ACTION-908] good practice for login forms / technical

From: Eduardo Casais <casays@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 05:41:28 -0800 (PST)
To: public-bpwg@w3.org

> For technical implementations, what about "inputmode" attribute for
> XHTML Basic 1.1? Isn't it the same for XHTML MP 1.2?
> <input type="text" name="pin" value="" inputmode="latin digits" />

This should have the same effect, although it is difficult to test it. I do not know whether any mobile device actually implements XHTML basic 1.1.

As for XHTML mobile profile 1.2, the standard indicates a slightly different way of specifying numeric fields (the example given is for a telephone number):

<input type="text" name="tel" inputmode="digits"/>

And if further specifies:

"Use of both the WCSS text input property -wap-input-format and the inputmode attribute in a single
XHTML Mobile Profile document is discouraged. Note that, if both are applied to a text input form control, the
styling property takes precedence, according to the CSS cascade rules."

So for XHTML 1.2, I would recommend using the -wap-input-format property.

E.Casais