Re: [ACTION-908] good practice for login forms

This does look like a best practice that could have fit in the Mobile
Web Best Practices document at first, so I thought it would probably
have been discussed in the past.

It was! Back in 2006, on the member list (the WG was not operating in
public at that time):
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-bpwg/2006Nov/0149.html

I wasn't there. The conclusion was, it seems, that the trade-off should
be left to the browser implementation. If you don't use type="password"
then the user has no way to "hide" the password. On the other hand, if
you do use type="password" then a user could choose, in theory, a
browser that proposes to display password inputs.

Some old BPWG beast would probably know more about that.

Francois.