Re: [ACTION 897] Establish best current practice regarding withrawal of use of X- form

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 16:54:44 +0100, Luca Passani <passani@eunet.no>
> wrote:
>
>> Maybe everything would be solved in a more logical and coherent way
>> if the group accepted the viewpoint that transcoding is a "hack", no
>> matter how you look at it.
>
> Maybe, but I don't see any clear reason why one would accept that
> viewpoint - it is not self-evident to me, and if the group has not
> accepted it en masse already that suggests that it is really rather
> less than self-evident.

No Charles. *It is* self evident. The only reason why you are denying
reality is that transcoder vendors here have a commercial interest in
using W3C as a selling tool for their hacks. Opera is doing exactly the
same with OperaMini (which explains your position here).
By promoting transcoder interests within BPWG in the face of reality,
Opera is losing the credibility it had accrued over the years as the
champion of standards and developers.

Transcoding is a hack. A textbook example.

Luca