Re: Completion of mobile accessibility document for review (paragraph on differences of approach)

My apologies for missing last Fridays' EOWG call. I expect to take part
this week. BPWG people please read especially the paragraph at the end
of this message ("However, I would disagree with the suggestion").

I have incorporated Shadi's comments into the existing paragraph on
differences of approach between MWBP and WCAG, which now looks like the
following:

[start proposed text] WCAG and MWBP both aim to improve the Web
interaction of users who experience barriers due to either disabilities
or the device used to access the Web. However, WCAG and MWBP have
slightly different approaches. For example, a key feature of WCAG is
testability and the WCAG 2.0 success criteria are specifically designed
to be testable statements. W3C recommends that all Web sites comply with
WCAG 2.0. In some situations, Web sites are legally required to be
accessible. MWBP is different in that it provides suggested best
practices for consideration. Although some of the best practices are
testable, they are not all intended to be testable. It is not expected
that all Web sites will meet MWBP.

While the two documents show significant overlap in many areas, there is
a continuum in the level of overlap between the individual technical
requirements, so that there is not always a 1:1 mapping between them.
For instance, WCAG has some requirements that are specific to
accessibility needs of people with disabilities, and that are not
relevant for mobile devices (for example, requirements that specifically
address assistive technology). Conversely, MWBP has other requirements
that are specific to mobile devices only (for example, requirements to
minimize battery consumption and CPU power). However, in general most
requirements are applicable for both groups of users (for example,
requirements for color contrast, flexible font sizes, etc.).
[end proposed text]

However, I would disagree with the suggestion:

 > ... "WCAG is intended for all Web sites while
 > MWBP is not intended for all Web sites"

MWBP is intended to help provide a reasonable browsing experience of all
web sites when using mobile devices. It isn't intended only for
mobile-specific content. I don't think there is a any difference of
approach here.

However, while MWBP advocates customising content to take advantage of
mobile device characteristics (when known), WCAG avoids any suggestion
of customising content to suit users abilities (or to overcome their
disabilities).

regards,

Alan

--
Alan Chuter
Departamento de Usabilidad y Accesibilidad