RE: [Agenda] agenda for tomorrow

Hi Dan,
I won't be able to make the meeting but please put this on the agenda; I agreed to get confirmation that the WebApps group responses to the MWBP comments to the Widgets 1.0 Requirements were accepted by MWBP (I think this was agreed in a previous call, but need to double check). We may move forward with further discussions in this area (e.g. for Widgets 2.0) but don't expect further discussion on the comments they did not accept, at this time.

Here's my summary of where we are with the comments that I submitted:

During the last few weeks of discussion and reflection in WebApps, MWBP, and OMTP (BONDI) it's become clearer that the scope of the WebApps group is about Widget packaging and interfaces (functional capabilities) rather than best practices (MWI's scope, e.g. usability, interoperability, efficiency) or policy (OMTP's scope, e.g. API security). The Widget 1.0 functional capabilities should support the policy and best practices objectives, but beyond the basic ability to do so, the Widgets 1.0 Requirements don't have to reflect the policy/best-practices objectives directly. In the Widgets 1.0 timeframe, we will move forward with these comments/objectives within MWBP where possible.

The MWABP (Mobile Web Application Best Practices) for example can make recommendations on the *use* of Widget interface features and Javascript functions (e.g. XMLHttpRequest) to achieve what the MWBP comments were attempting to promote, e.g. interoperability, through:
(a) identification of the widget in HTTP requests (user-agent header)
(b) disclosure of Widget and device capabilities (Profile and Accept headers)

Example:
var client = new XMLHttpRequest();
client.open('GET', 'http://dcd.server.com/channel?ID=21');
client.setRequestHeader('User-Agent', 'DCD Widget/1.0');
client.setRequestHeader('Accept', 'application/vnd.oma.dcd, multipart/mixed, multipart/related');
client.setRequestHeader('Profile', '"http://megawidgets.com/dcd-widget1.0.rdf"');
client.send();

Also the Widget packaging provides the ability to describe the Widget, and MWBP could use this as the container for recommended notices to the user about resource impacts and automatic behaviors. This does not provide distinct/semantic disclosure in Widgets 1.0 timeframe, but is at least a start. Outside W3C, this objective can be pursued through additional policy-related metadata for Widgets. Hopefully we can expand the Widget Configuration Document in the Widgets 2.0 timeframe, to include these additional objectives.

Some objectives may require further standardization work, e.g. to select a non-default proxy in XMLHttpRequest may require further work on the XMLHttpRequest object itself, since this (*select* a proxy) does not seem to be an option of XMLHttpRequest as defined (http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest/). Outside direct support from XMLHttpRequest (and perhaps W3C), we may be able to achieve this objective through policy definition.

I will provide some related text to the MWABP for our editor's meeting on Friday.

Best regards,
Bryan Sullivan | AT&T