Re: Editorial comments on "Shared Web Experiences: Barriers Common to Mobile Device Users and People with Disabilities"

Hi Jo,

Thanks for your comments. I have addressed all of your comments in
the latest version (<http://www.w3.org/WAI/mobile/experiences-new>
and <http://www.w3.org/WAI/mobile/experiences-new-format>). Please
let me know if you are happy with the changes.

On 10 Sep 2008, at 10:09, Jo Rabin wrote:

> I think that it might be worth making the descriptive text that
> follows the title more consistent. Sometimes it says "the user"
> sometimes "user" sometimes "user" is implied and sometimes it is a
> staccato list of problems e.g. "Information loss. Content inoperable"

I have changed them all so that they are presented in a consistent
style.

> Would it be better if "Large page or large images" read "Large
> pages and large images"?

I changed it to "Large pages or large images".

> In the same section Users / get or User / gets ?

Changed it to "user gets".

> In the section "Information conveyed only using CSS" is it worth
> mentioning that CSS can contain content as well as formatting -
> e.g. background image and "before" and "after" text?

Changed the description to "User is unable to access information
encoded in visual formatting or in CSS"

> On "Missing or inappropriate page title" - - the title is often not
> displayed at all in mobile browsers. So the significance is
> probably that bookmark lists don't make much sense.

Not sure about this one. Is this a problem with mobile browsers? or
with the content? To me, it sounds like this is a problem because of
mobile browsers because they don't display some information about the
page.

> Under Focus (tab) order - I think the mobile section sort of
> implies that navigation is via tab key, which it isn't, but in any
> case it may be worth mentioning that it's hard to navigate with the
> common 4-way rocker.

Please let me know what you think about the latest version of the
description, I tried not to talk about any specific technology here.

> At Long words etc. - I think it may be worth mentioning that the
> users context often means that they want rapid access to
> unambiguous information - i.e. it's not just that they are
> distracted and have partial attention on the content.

I tried to talk about the problems and tried to avoid generalising
what users might want :(

> Invalid or unsupported markup - some older devices don't display
> invalid markup at all. I don't think that content adaptation is the
> main point here, and should probably be removed.

Changed the description to "Some older mobile browsers do not display
content with invalid markup. Additionally, content adaptation for
mobile device agents is unpredictable and possibly incomplete if the
page markup is invalid."

Regards,
Yeliz.