Re: New draft of mobileOK Scheme 2008-11-06

Jo Rabin wrote:
[..]

> I anticipate some proposed text from the Member from Suffolk addressing
> re-insertion of references to machine readable claims.

See e-mail sent late last night:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-bpwg/2008Nov/0010.html

Both you and he
> are welcome to join the little task force.
>
> In this context I need to say that the organisation I represent has no
> plans to use the logo under license - so I think I have now reached the
> point where I need to understand
> a) what the use cases are, as I mentioned above
> b) that this is really going to get used in some way by content providers
> c) that some search engine somewhere is planning to look for machine
> readable labels.

Here's what one rather large search engine told me on a recent visit to
Silicon Valley: You create the data, make sure it's not full of spam,
and we'll use it. But don't expect us to make a public statement on the
issue to help you on your way.

In other words, if you want a search engine or two to make a statement
about the usefulness of mobileOK, or any other machine-readable label,
before you decide to use it, you'll never decide to use it. If, however,
you really want search engines to have an easy way to identify
mobile-friendly content, and if you want to encourage content providers
along a route that ends up with more mobile friendly content that they
can advertise as such, then you need to create the best platform
possible for that to happen.

It seems to me that, given the feelings expressed around this issue and
the fact that, for all our best efforts, POWDER is going to be at PR,
not Rec, next month, that including some examples of what you MAY do to
make mOK machine-readable in this doc is a pretty basic step that we can
take without upsetting the apple cart too much or creating dependencies
we could do without.

Phil.

--
Phil Archer