Re: sections 1.4.2 and 1.4.3

On May 23, 2008, at 1:07 PM, Jo Rabin wrote:

> I agree with everything that Jeff is saying below (well, I could argue
> some points but that would spoil the effect)

<grin/>

> Or to put it another way, at what point do we foresee that the
> difference is processing power will be immaterial?

for the purposes of Web-based operations?
I'd guess that will be within a couple of years
at the high end
but that is just my guess
(and I have often been too conservative in these estimates)

but for now
and for a BP document likely to remain for a couple of years
I think the differences are material enough
to use them as an example

> I think it is arguable, for example in respect of bandwidth available,
> that the point-in-time differential between fixed and mobile is
> actually
> increasing.

hmmmm
not sure I'd buy that argument
with "WiFi" showing up on an increasing number of mobile devices
but hey
is there another example that you would be happier with?
one other than "limited device processing capability"??

the example we are trying to work out is for the xxxx at the end of
this phrase:
"as opposed to those that are likely to disappear quickly as
  the technology evolves (e.g. xxxx)"

I think we all agree the tech *is* likely to evolve
and we are just trying to say here
why in this BP doc we are placing "additional weight"
on some aspects of the mobile context

a different example of problems we think are going away
      Real Soon Now
would be okay by me

jeffs

--