Re: ACTION-719 [5.x.y CSS]

From: Jeff Sonstein <jeffs@it.rit.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:46:07 -0400
To: public-bpwg@w3.org

On Mar 27, 2008, at 10:05 AM, public-bpwg@w3.org wrote:

> > Detect browser capabilities or user preferences and react
> accordingly.

I hope I was clear
that I was talking about detecting on the client-side

> This could be one of the easiest approaches, if you are considering
> this
> from a server adaptability point of view.

I was trying to point to the server assembling a common-target payload
and the client adapting "up" (progressive enhancement) if possible

> The DDWG's API, soon to be
> announced, should help the server to figure out how to adapt to the
> device. If you wish, you can adapt the page (and any style therein) at
> request time.

the problem with that of course
is that browsers lie so much to servers
so one approach is client-side
capability determination and (possibly) base-payload enhancement
[see http://chw.rit.edu/ for a prototype example]

> I must admit, however, that the example markup involving SSI might
> scare
> some people away.

might
hope not
but it might...
tried to write for developers
and tried to Keep It Simple
yet still illustrative of
request-time assembly of a payload

useful feedback
glad to get it

> You may also need to deal with conflicts between device capabilities
> and
> user preferences, but perhaps that's a level of detail too far.

<grin/>
jeffs

--
  "Necessity is the plea for every infringement
   of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.

Prof. Jeff Sonstein

http://www.it.rit.edu/~jxs/
http://ariadne.iz.net/~jeffs/
http://chw.ariadne.mobi/