RE: ISSUE-240: Remove requirement of validity to self-declared DTD [mobileOK Basic tests]

> I support the idea of
>
> >  * replace it by requiring that step only when the System ID matches a
> > well-known DTD (which would be listed in the spec)

> The main point being that it would be nice to say that the document _is_
> valid, so well done, but can you please make it XHTML Basic 1.1 (or MP)
> valid.

+1

> Sean [Owen] suggested that an answer might be to have a less limiting
> XHTML Basic 1.2 - But I'm not sure about that, given that we've waited so > long for Basic 1.1 and it's _still_ not with us.

I would not confide either in a specification that is not known when it will be in the real world.

> I'm also actually starting to be less and less convinced that well-
> formedness matters all that much either, like not closing elements that
> can't have any content anyway doesn't seem like such a big deal.

I am not so sure about that. At least, I would reuse Jo's please-make-it-XHTML-Basic-1.1-or-MP sentence:

"The document surely works in most mobile browsers, so well done, but can you please close each element and make it XHTML Basic 1.1 (or MP)"

;-)

Regards,

Nacho

>  * replace it by requiring that step only when the System ID matches a
> well-known DTD (which would be listed in the spec)

The main point being that it would be nice to say that the document _is_ valid, so well done, but can you please make it XHTML Basic 1.1 (or MP) valid.

On the general point of the value of validity checking in general. I am strongly taken with the idea that we fail only on important aspects of the validation, per Dom's note on the subject [1]

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-bpwg/2008Mar/0017.html

Sean [Owen] suggested that an answer might be to have a less limiting XHTML Basic 1.2 - But I'm not sure about that, given that we've waited so long for Basic 1.1 and it's _still_ not with us.

I'm also actually starting to be less and less convinced that well-formedness matters all that much either, like not closing elements that can't have any content anyway doesn't seem like such a big deal.

Jo