Re: ISSUE-261 (Scoping bogus 200 responses): Scoping 200 responses that should be regarded as 406 responses [Content Transformation Guidelines]

fwiw, afaik, MSIE does not display the contents of 406 responses
(possibly because some people say impolite things about the choice of
User Agent in such responses) so I guess that it is common to put such
impolite messages in 200 responses so they do get displayed.

Of course it may be much more common for this to happen the other way
round - i.e. if you're not using IE you get a message back from the site
saying that they don't support you.

Either way, it would be interesting to know.

I wonder if, in advocating the proper use of 406 to say that the User
Agent can't be handled, we ought to reintroduce a note about non-display
of 406 pages.

Jo