FW: Moblie web split

I "forgot" to sign my previous submission

From: Ho, Thomas I.m.
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 4:50 PM
To: 'gina@alierra.com'; public-bpwg@w3.org
Subject: RE: Moblie web split

Although I understand the motivation to maximize revenue by focusing on the developed countries, it MAY be useful to encourage business development in poor countries because they CAN be fertile ground for innovation! In these countries, the wireline infrastructure is so poor so that the wireless infrastructure is usually more robust. Since "necessity is the mother of invention" couldn't a case be made that investment in wireless infrastructure in poor countries could fuel a considerable "brand" of innovation that might NOT occur in developed countries? This innovation can indeed motivate its application in developed countries. SMS is a good example which demonstrates how less-developed countries have been far ahead of the US in using a service.

The example of microcredit<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcredit> may offer a helpful analogy that demonstrates how "a little can go a long way" so perhaps this principle can be applied to wireless infrastructure as well.

Thomas I. M. Ho<http://drthomasho.info/>, Ph.D.
Professor of Computer & Information Technology<http://cit.iupui.edu/> (http://cit.iupui.edu)
Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis