Re: New draft of mobileOK Basic 1zq (draft 43) - preview of PR draft

Thanks a lot Jo.

I was willing to raise these before you issued yet another draft, but
you're faster than I am...

One new (small, and not on a test!) comment, and a clarification to an
existing one:

- In the Abstract and Introduction sections:
"Claims to be W3C mobileOK conformant are represented using Description
Resources (see [POWDER]), described separately"

I failed to notice that before, and only reluctantly raise this comment,
but... given that we're targeting the "Proposed Recommendation" phase
and that there should not be any link to specifications that are not yet
Recommendations at that stage, I wonder about the possibility to have
such an explicit reference to POWDER at this point, and if we should not
rather use a more generic statement such as the one that is in "1.3
Claiming mobileOK conformance":
"The details of the mechanism for claiming mobileOK conformance will be
described separately".

- 2.4.3 HTTP Response
"If the HTTP status represents failure (4xx), other than 404, a request
for authentication (e.g. 401) or a 406 when carrying out the 3.15.1
Object Element Processing Rule, FAIL"

I thought that from your reply at the end of:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-bpwg-comments/2008JulSep/0001.html
... we had agreed that:
   a/ it is indeed permissible to FAIL on a Linked Resource.
   b/ the 406 exception-to-the-rule would apply to Linked Resources as well.

I'm raising b/ again as, although we're not actively promoting the use
of 406 responses in the Content Transformation Guidelines, we're still
saying it's a good practice, and a FAIL here means that a mobileOK page
cannot link to a page that, while not being mobileOK, at least makes
sure that the end user won't download MBs of incompatible content.

It makes all the more sense IMO than we only warn when a linked resource
returns a 404.

I do not think this would constitute a significant change, but rather a
clarification of intent on Linked Resources. I'm not defending the idea
to the point of starting a new hundread year war, but did you skip that
change on purpose?

Francois.