From: Sean Owen [mailto:srowen@google.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 2:54 PM
To: Sullivan, Bryan
Cc: Adam Connors; MWI BPWG Public
Subject: Re: BP2 Comments.

I think this highlights a critical scope problem that has been pointed
out time and again.

I don't think it can be repeated enough: *we are not writing about
general mobile phone applications*. We are writing about web
applications.

An application that is consumed by a browser? yes. An application that
is consumed by some widget with a web runtime that understands markup
like a browser? yes. An application that is installed on a device? no.
Nobody has ever "installed" a web page.

I think we must take a resolution one way or the other on this tomorrow.
We cannot continue to write a document along these lines, and I don't
get a sense the document is "listening". In my opinion that is.

Sean

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Sullivan, Bryan <BS3131@att.com> wrote:
> Re "5.3.2 Inform user about device memory impact": In terms of
> "installation", we are talking in part about web applications here
> that can run outside the browser sandbox (e.g. using a web runtime).
> These do have impact upon device memory for installation. Re data
> memory, web applications that manage persistent data can consume
> considerable device memory, depending upon their nature. It's
> important that this BP guide developers toward this disclosure, unless

> BPWG wants to focus only on the browser, which would be a considerable

> retreat in my opinion on the value of BP2 (we could then call it
> "BP1.5"), and not serving the developer community with guidance for
> the real scope of mobile web applications. I clarified the BP as
> related to "Users should be informed of impacts to device memory for
installable web applications."