Re: BP2 Name Problem: Delivery context assumed not stated?

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 17:54:49 +0200, Alan Chuter <achuter@technosite.es>
wrote:

> On 03/04/2008, Adam Connors <adamconnors@google.com> wrote:
>> My internal shorthand understanding for "follow in the footsteps" is...
>> "try
>> and provide the same kind of useful document but for modern, advanced
>> devices that run ajax and javascript rather than the DDC."
>
> The document doesn't (as far as I can see) actually say that it is
> aimed at an advanced device. I remember hearing at some stage that it
> wasn't practicable to define one. If it isn't, but has been assumed as
> the basis for the document but not stated then something's gone wrong
> somewhere. The document talks about web applications but doesn't say
> much about the devices required.

My understanding is that it is aimed at a device at least more advanced
than DDC, but it works through taking advantage of specific device
characteristics. So you either have to know how to identify that a device
can do X, or you have to use something compatible with BP1 (like using an
object element with SVG and something simpler as a fallback, or using
scripts that are not necessary, don't blow the memory budget, etc).

BP1 allows you to extend all kinds of things if you have device knowledge.
One of the important questions is how you get such knowledge.

cheers

Chaals