W3C Mobile best practices checker

From: Stelzer, Melinda <melinda.stelzer@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 19:30:47 -0600
To: <public-bpwg@w3.org>
Cc: "Lipkina, Natasha (hp.com)" <natasha.lipkina@hp.com>

Hello,

I wonder if you can answer a question about the mobile best practices
checker.

If I check http://mobile.google.com
The checker returns 2 errors:
   The page is not XML well-formed.
   The page is served with a Last-Modified header, but the server
doesn't validate conditional requests.
At this time the scan is halted.  The message says that these errors are
fatal and the checker can not continue.

If I check http://www.hpshopping.com
The same two errors are displayed, along with several others. However,
the scan goes on to point out that the page follows several best
practices, it gets a warning, some pointers, and a list of
non-applicable checkpoints.

I don't understand why those two errors were fatal on the first page and
not on the second?
Can I make any conclusions from the checker results about whether or not
the first page followed any of the same best practices that the second
page was congratulated for?

Thank you,
Melinda

Melinda Stelzer