From: Rotan Hanrahan
Sent: 17 June 2005 11:54
To: public-bpwg@w3.org
Subject: RE: The devices-universal websites "myth" and the semantic web

To be fair to Kai, he's doing a good job of highlighting some of the challenges we face. If he truly believed that it was all negative, he wouldn't be bothering to participate. He would have by now abandoned technology and taken up a career in oil painting or gardening. I'm sure that in the spirit of a Best Practices group, Kai will not only be able to highlight examples of poor practice, but also point to examples where he believes good practice is being demonstrated.

Single source, multi-device authoring is possible, but it does require the author to do a little more effort. Not as much as having to author for each device separately, as some commercial solutions can demonstrate. The challenge is to minimise the amount of additional work needed by the author, so that the amount of motivation needed to convince the author to do this work is reduced, and thereby increase the amount of Web content that becomes device independent. The nirvana case, where the amount of authoring effort is similar to the current effort required for the single-channel fixed Web, I believe is not possible. There just isn't enough (semantic) information in a traditional Web page to ensure it is adaptable.

I think a lot of the examples that Kai highlights are related to the limitations (or errors) of the user agent, which naturally puts a limitation on the adaptation possibilities. I'm sure these issues are

Just my 2c worth...

---Rotan Hanrahan.
(Chair MWI DDWG)

[...]