Re: The devices-universal websites "myth" and the semantic web

From: Kai Hendry <hendry@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:57:37 +1000
To: Antti Martikainen <Antti.Martikainen@sysopen.fi>
Cc: Nicolas Combelles <nicolas.combelles@apocope.com>, public-bpwg@w3.org

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 01:20:11PM +0300, Antti Martikainen wrote:
> > 1.2) Can I use a single structure ?
> > -----------------------------------
> No, not really, if you truly want to adapt content to the capabilities
> of a device..

In another words. Yes! Unless you want your site to become device
dependent, inconsistent, broken etc.

> CSS apparently can be used for doing part of the job, but considering
> the overall architecture of a large-scale commercial site, it is a
> really bad solution. CSS is supposed to be about visualisation. Mapping
> content to different kinds of devices is something else. And as was said,
> it's bad to deliver additional content for small devices..

Some "content" on a commercial site is really just "about visualisation"
too. Anyway I've found CSS so badly supported on series 40 Nokia devices
that this technique isn't really justified. Anyway the CSS doesn't stop
the content being downloaded. So if you expensively downloaded all the
content, why not see it all?!

Again media types are also badly supported in mobiles. Try your mobile
here:
http://media.dabase.com/

And concerning Andrea's ill conceived mobile. instead of www. comments.
Please read: http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/TLD